My friend Cat never had a bad idea. Except maybe that time she suggested to our cranky gym teacher that we play dodge ball instead of "walk the track" for the umpteenth time. That evil dragon lady spun right around and not only denied us any fun, but also called Cat...."Little Miss Rudeness". To date, one of the best nicknames I have EVER heard given. (Right up there with my friend "Dumpster Dog". You know who you are, Buddy.)
Brilliantly, she has requested the desire for a "drunken Samoa cookie" ice cream. An idea even the crankiest of gym teacher could let pass......or at least give it half credit for participating.
PONDER IF THERE WAS A VALID REASON FOR FORCING THE CLASS TO DO "CINDY CRAWFORD'S STEP AEROBIC WORKOUT" AS YOU SHOP FOR:
- 2 cans of coconut milk (FULL FAT) - I figure, we are looking for coconut flavor we might as well go dairy free on this adventure, no? Don't worry. The sugar content will make up for any calories you're missing. It's all about balance.
- 2/3 of a cup of toasted coconut flakes - Few things on this earth are better.
- 1/3 and 2/3 of a cup caramel - Yup---We are using it twice. If you are making this vegan then check to make sure yours is dairy free! Some have trace amounts. If it doesn't matter to you then it doesn't to me. But make sure you warn people. Dairy can ruin worlds.
- 2/3 of a cup of coconut rum - Reduced to 1/2 cup and then chilled in the fridge. It's going to smell like a tropical vacation in there. Hey....beats cabbage.
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil- If you don't have it, it's not a deal breaker. It helps make your sorbet creamier but if you just got to have it before you can hit the store I say go for it.
- 1/3 of a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- parchment paper - This one is necessary. Unless you love cleaning caramel off of things. Then I guess you could use a bowl. My husband made my kitchen faucet "environmentally friendly". I don't have that option.....or a sprayer that works right anymore.
- your ice cream artisan badge- Get your Mom to sew it on your sash. You never did earn the stitching one.
- Heat up your coconut milk, coconut oil, and 2/3 of a cup of caramel while whisking, until ingredients are completely combined. Let cool completely and place in the fridge to chill.
- Here's the fun part. Get some parchment paper. Squeeze out caramel and mix with toasted coconut. Stir it up until it starts to get thick and clumps together. Set aside to "set up".
- Mix together the chilled coconut rum and coconut caramel base you made. Add to your trusty ice cream machine and turn on. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Go outside and run a mile so that you can qualify for the Presidential Fitness Award. Forgot your gym clothes? Then just write a paragraph on this anti-smoking pamphlet. That seems like an even trade off.
- Just as the ice cream starts to get thick and delicious, add in your caramel coconut crumbles and semi-sweet chocolate chips. This will make it so delicious you may earn a second badge. Put in a freezer-safe container, cover the surface with plastic wrap, put on the lid and into the freezer for at least 4 hours.
If I were you, I'd make this one this weekend. Because while those order forms start circulating any day now, those delicious cookies don't get here until April. All 16 boxes of them.
Makes enough for 3-4 silver friends.
Makes enough for 2 gold friends.
Makes enough for just you......if you're not looking for that "Sharing is Caring" award.