I know, I know. I missed last week. But sometimes you just have to take those treasured days off and enjoy the beauty of nature instead of being tethered to the idiot box. And by embrace nature I mean take the time to stroll the breathtaking countryside of Tamriel. "Where's that?.....", you ask wearily. I don't like your tone. It almost sounds like you are not impressed with my.....eh hem..... Level 100 Mastery of Destruction Magic. Oh sure....DON'T be impressed....until I use Fireball to vaporize a 8 foot tall Snow Troll barreling down us at about 40 mph, from 20 yards out.....essentially saving us from being lunch.
Perhaps I can impress you then......with a new recipe for chocolate ice cream......that is ........BUM BUM BUMMMMMMMMM.......DAIRY FREE! Alright, alright. Calm it down. I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. Or read me out....as it were. Sometimes coconut milk can be an absolute dream. Like in the delicious vegan curry I made last night. (Props to my first curry.) So because I was entertaining my lovely friend Sara, the lactose intolerant vegetarian, I made a special treat just for her and let me tell you......it was an airy chocolate dream. Like a classy YooHoo. Hmmmmmm......And there it is. The best description of me I have ever stumbled upon.....Classy YooHoo.
DON YOUR CLASSIEST HOODIE AS YOU HEAD TO THE LIQUOR STORE AT 8:30AM FOR:
- 1 cup (reduced to 2/3) cup chocolate liquor- Guys I found a new liquor store. Let me tell you the explosion of joy that occurred in my heart when I walked into this magnificent building. I was VISIBLY GIGGLING. I want you to think about what it was like to see a girl smile SO HARD at rows of alcohol before 9am. Clutching my cart and grinning from ear to ear I meandered around for at least an hour just taking it all on. I usually get 3 choices of Amaretto and now I have an aisle. I will never have to go to 4 liquor stores in one day ever again. Bliss, guys. Just bliss.........Wait......Did you grab a chocolate liquor?
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk- Probably not going to find these babies at the liquor store.....but WHO KNOWS?! The place was so big I may have missed it. Beautiful liquor store........
- 2 vanilla beans- 2 beans? Are you cray?! That's like $13 at the Organic Emporium! But no, little chestnuts....no! You can buy them online through a number of non-price-gouging dealers. It ends up being like a dollar a bean. And you are definitely worth $2...from what I can tell so far.
- sugar- You'll have to go by taste depending on the liquor you use, but add carefully and taste often. You can always put more in, but you can't take it out. Like a tube of toothpaste......or like your putting real feelings on Facebook. You may delete the post, but those of us at up at 4am already saw it, screen shot it, and texted it. Just kidding........?
- Here's where we heat up the booze until it's reduced by a third. Not much excitement in this step unless you count the residual joy the bottle is probably still covered in from my trip to go get it.
- Cut open and scrape your vanilla beans. Add to the coconut milk and put over medium heat. Get all those little fat chunkies melted. Hmph...I was literally thinking the same thing while working out today. This has been a VERY delicious summer/fall. I may go through pierogi withdrawal.
- Add the booze to the milk mixture and add sugar if needed. I only needed about a tablespoon. Once you are happy with the taste, then take it off the stove and allow to cool before placing in the refrigerator until chilled.
- The mixture should be chilled in a couple hours. Pour into your mixer and fantasize about getting your beautiful white christmas tree out. I mean....we don't have to decorate it yet....it'd just be for the lights. then I wouldn't have to buy a new lamp. It just seems practical.........when is "too early" anyway?! Ok....by the time you have talked yourself out of "just putting up the tree", your chocolate ice DREAM is about ready!
- Pour mixture into a freezer safe container and add a layer of plastic wrap to the surface. (Air is the enemy! Well not really. But it'll invite its friends The Ice Crystals over and we hate them. They know how to ruin a party.) In a couple of short hours you will have an airy and light chocolate "ice cream" that your dairy-free friends will thank you for! And you, in turn, will thank them for the blog content! Thanks Sara!
Okay awesome! Got tons done today! Me thinks I just earned a little trip to ye olde town of Winterhold. I mean... I AM the Arch Mage of the college there. I should probably show my face a little. But I promise next time we will make Swiss Cheese ice cream. Just kidding, that'd be gross.....but maybe a nice cheddar would work.