I don't know about you but to me it has felt like the past 2 weeks has been one long Sunday. Player 2 is a teacher so when he has time off I literally have no idea what day it is. So now that he's back to his routine, I can finally get back to mine. Our love affair is so epic it would make you puke, but even we need that few hours a day apart. Plus it's hard to get work done when there's such a funny and handsome man around constantly. I call it the "Clooney Effect".
But routines are good. The body likes routine. Well, most routines. It would seem my daily routine of red wine, chocolate, and tortilla chips has polluted my body to the point where I actually craved kale. I want you to think about the level of calorie pollution that would cause that. I CRAVED kale. That's the equivalent of the crying Indian commercial from the 70's. So I cleared out the food garbage, bought the Max 30 Insanity work out, and have gone back to one portion dinners......which is actually the hardest part. Because I don't know if you've seen an actual "portion" of pasta but unless you put it between 2 slices of potato bread and call it a spaghetti sandwich, I'm not buying it.
So let's sorbet shall we? A little light refreshing snack recipe to remind you that warmer days and sleeveless shirts will get here faster than Santa did.
Rasp-BURPEE Riesling Sorbet
THIS SNACK WILL BE TOTALLY CALORIE FREE IF YOU JOG TO THE STORE FOR:
- 2 1/2 cups of frozen raspberries- If you make this in the summer, by all means use fresh raspberries. Fresh beats frozen......frozen beats canned......and canned crushes fresh.....but only if you are literally smashing it on top of that fresh produce.
- 1/2 cup of sugar- You may need more depending on the tartness of your raspberries so make sure you taste it. That goes for all cooking. I've seen Gordon Ramsey tear his fangs into enough chefs for lack of seasoning in a dish over the past 10 years to drive that point home. He's still hot for an old dude, though.
- pinch of salt- Helps bring out the sweet flavors. That's basic food network knowledge right there. Shoot....I may have even learned that on PBS cooking shows.....,....on a TV with rabbit ears and foil.
- 1 cup of Riesling- This sweet white wine is the perfect compliment to those tart berries. It's also great with cheese. And bread....and girl scout cookies.....oh lord give me strength.
- Okie dokie, Artichokies! Let's just jump into this recipe like we did with our new workout routine.......reluctant and bitter at our Italian metabolisms! Just kidding! I mean with excitement and a renewed sense of focus towards our goals.....or whatever. Throw those frozen raspberries directly in the pot and put on a med low heat. Stir them up until almost thawed.
- Pour in you riesling and let the mixture heat until boiling.....not boiling over. But you know what?? Sometimes the good pot is in the sink soaking and you use the medium pot......and keep your fingers crossed. Sometimes you get caught up on a time sensitive video game mission. Sometimes you have to make a tough decision.
- Scrub raspberry shellac off of your stove. Enjoy the future aroma of charred raspberries wafting through the air as you cook for the rest of the week. What is that...raspberry marina? MMMMMMM.
- Add your sugar and salt and after thoroughly stirring, taste it. If it needs more sugar add it, but don't over do it. You can always add more, but you can never remove it. That's also my theory on cellulite.
- Chill baby. For at least an hour. If you drove to the store for ingredients, then here's the part where you pop in the punishment DVD and get MOVING. This morning I did something called a burpee lunge for a full minute straight. Picture falling and landing on your hands and then jumping from the ground into a lunge. Picture lying face down on a sweaty mat trying to catch your breath/not die.. Picture a piece of pizza. This is called negative reinforcement.
- Pour this strikingly beautiful mixture into your ice cream machine and set it to "warp". Your machine will probably just say "on" but I spent a lot of the wee hours this morning watching Star Trek the Next Generation. You know who my new old man crush is? Sir Patrick Stewart. There's just something so calming about a man who navigates space as if it were Milford. And he has those high cheekbones and squinty eyes I love in a dude. I personally aspire to have many laugh lines and zero botox.
He'll have to share the title with Harrison Ford, though. He DID have my heart first. He's even raised Calista Flockhart's stock in my eyes. I figure she must actually be a blast to hang with in person if someone as hilariously witty as Harrison digs her company. But I digress.........Hey! Is that sorbet done yet?!
- Scrape your sorbet into a freezer safe container, layer plastic wrap on the surface, and pop the lid on. A few short hours in the freezer and this should be as firm as your future abs.....so long as you share your snack. I recommend your husband. Because you know that while you watch every freaking calorie that dude is about to lose a ton of weight because he switched to light beer. Nothing wrong with leveling the playing field.
Listen. I hate diet an exercise as much as the next person, but I figure once I can shake this extra butt I've grown, I can go back to being a little less regimented. Now if I could only figure out how to keep the boobs. I think I'll miss them most of all.
Makes enough for 3-4 people, technically.
Makes enough for 2 people, realistically.
Makes enough for me, but I'm going to try to be good. Try.